October, 2002 84
pages 8.5 x 11.0 49
8.5 x 11.0
A Hands-on Case Study in Spatial Analysis and Data Mining
<click here for information about the author>
Online information at http://www.innovativegis.com/basis/Books/AnalyzingPAdata/Default.htm
Book Description: Analyzing Precision Ag Data brings together underlying concepts of map analysis with concise examples and hands-on experience in analyzing precision agriculture data. This book will help readers understand the nature of spatial data and the principles, procedures and considerations used in investigating spatial relationships. A case study for a single field is used to clearly illustrate the wealth of emerging analytical capabilities available to scientists, agronomists, crop consultants and producers.
ü Click here for full description of the book
ü Click here for Table of Contents and Preface (.pdf document)
ü Click here for an example chapter on “Characterizing Data Groups, Topic 5” (.pdf document)
This book and companion CD has been used in support of numerous workshops on concepts, considerations and applications in precision agriculture. For additional reference papers on geotechnology in agriculture see…
- Characterizing Patterns and Relationships, Topic 16, Beyond Mapping III; online book by J.K. Berry.
- So Where Is Precision Ag, 9th International Conference on Precision Agriculture, Denver, Colorado, July 21-23 2008. Keynote Address (link to PowerPoint; 7.6MB; Podcast; Podcast/Slide Time Marks for simultaneous viewing) and Plenary Question Session (link to Question Responses).
- Applying Spatial Analysis for Precision Conservation Across the Landscape (select “Full Text” for free download), J. of Soil and Water Conservation, Nov/Dec 2005, Vol. 60, No. 6, pg 22-29. J.K. Berry, J. A. Delgado, R. Khosla and F.J. Pierce.
- Precision Conservation for Environmental Sustainability (select “Full Text” for free download), J. of Soil and Water Conservation, Nov/Dec 2003, Vol. 58, No. 6, pg 332-339. J.K. Berry, J. A. Delgado, R. Khosla and F.J. Pierce.
- Quantitative Methods for Analyzing Map Similarity and Zoning, GeoTech Conference on Geographic Information Systems, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, April 8-11, 2002. J.K. Berry.
presented at the Mid-America
- Who’s Minding the Farm, GeoWorld, Adams Business Media, Chicago, Illinois, Feb 1998, 11:2 46-51. J.K. Berry.
- Is GIS Technology Ahead of Science?, Intensive Wheat Management Conference, Denver, Colorado, March 4-5, 1998. Keynote address, J. K. Berry.
- Site-Specific Farming Comes of Age, FarmTech '98 Conference, Ricon Publishing, January, 1998, J.K. Berry.
- The Precision Farming Primer, compilation of "Inside the GIS Toolbox" columns published in the @gInnovator newsletter from 1993 through 2000; J.K. Berry.
For a description of the history and conceptual framework underlying Map Analysis and GIS Modeling see…
- An Analytical Framework for GIS Modeling, white paper presenting a conceptual framework for map analysis and GIS Modeling, BASIS, Fort Collins, Colorado, July, 2009. J.K. Berry and Shitij Mehta.
- A Brief History and Probable Future of Geotechnology, white paper distilling several keynotes, presentations and papers, BASIS, Fort Collins, Colorado, July, 2006. J.K. Berry.
- GIS Evolution and Future Trends, Topic 27, Beyond Mapping III; online book by J.K. Berry.
Ordering Hardcopy version: the hardcopy version is no longer available
Downloading Electronic version: Go to…
…to download electronic version of the workbook sections (.pdf) that can be printed, assembled and coil bound into a hardcopy book. In addition you can download the Workshop Support Materials including lecture slides, exercise software, example applications and color versions of the workbook’s figures.
You may use the Analyzing Precision Ag Data book and companion MapCalc Learner software for 1) self-instruction or 2) in whole or part for educational purposes, such as support materials for use in courses and workshops. However, you may not reproduce and distribute the book or software for profit.
Software Description: MapCalc software by BASIS is used for the hands-on exercises. A copy of MapCalc Learner software is included with the book. The software includes the basic set of data and operations needed to complete the hands-on exercises.
MapCalc Description & Examples describes MapCalc
capabilities using several
MapCalc Legacy describing the history of the software