April, 2003 126 pages 8.5 x 11.0 73
8.5 x 11.0
A Hands-on Case Study in Spatial Analysis and Data Mining
<click here for information about the author>
Online information at http://www.innovativegis.com/basis/Books/AnalyzingPAdata/Default.htm
Book Description: Analyzing Geo-Business Data brings together underlying concepts of map analysis with concise examples and hands-on experience in analyzing geo-business data. This book will help readers understand the nature of spatial data and the principles, procedures and considerations used in investigating spatial relationships. A case study for a project area is used to clearly illustrate the wealth of emerging analytical capabilities available to educators, researchers, consultants and business professionals.
ü Click here for a full description of the book
ü Click here for Table of Contents and Preface (.pdf document)
ü Click here for an example chapter on “Analyzing Location, Topic 5” (.pdf document)
This book and companion CD has been used in support of numerous workshops on concepts, considerations and applications in geo-business. For additional online papers on geotechnology in business see…
- Spatial Data Mining in Geo-business, Topic 28, Beyond Mapping III; online book by J.K. Berry.
- Analyzing In-Store Shopping Patterns, Topic 6, Beyond Mapping III; online book by J.K. Berry.
- Spatial Data Mining in Geo-Business, GeoTec Conference on Geographic Information Systems, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 2-5, 2008. J.K. Berry and K.R. Reed.
Sales Competition Analysis, GeoWorld feature article, Adams Business
Grid-Based Map Analysis into Geo-Business Decisions, GeoTech Conference on
Geographic Information Systems,
Analysis of Shopper Movement and Sales Activity,
Modeling and Data Mining in Retail,
In-Store Shopper Movement and Sales, GBA News, GeoBusiness Association,
For a description of the history and conceptual framework underlying Map Analysis and GIS Modeling see…
- An Analytical Framework for GIS Modeling, white paper presenting a conceptual framework for map analysis and GIS Modeling, BASIS, Fort Collins, Colorado, July, 2009. J.K. Berry and Shitij Mehta.
- A Brief History and Probable Future of Geotechnology, white paper distilling several keynotes, presentations and papers, BASIS, Fort Collins, Colorado, July, 2006. J.K. Berry.
- GIS Evolution and Future Trends, Topic 27, Beyond Mapping III; online book by J.K. Berry.
Ordering Hardcopy version: the hardcopy version is no longer available
Downloading Electronic version: Go to…
…to download electronic version of the workbook sections (.pdf) that can be printed, assembled and coil bound into a hardcopy book. In addition you can download the Workshop Support Materials including lecture slides, exercise software, example applications and color versions of the workbook’s figures.
You may use the Analyzing Geo-Business Data book and companion MapCalc Learner software for 1) self-instruction or 2) in whole or part for educational purposes, such as support materials for use in courses and workshops. However, you may not reproduce and distribute the book or software for profit.
Software Description: MapCalc software by BASIS is used for the hands-on exercises. A copy of MapCalc Learner software is included with the book. The software includes the basic set of data and operations needed to complete the hands-on exercises.
MapCalc Description & Examples describes MapCalc
capabilities using several
MapCalc Legacy describing the history of the software